Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Roman Cuisine or the Lack There Of

So as our blog followers know, I began this Roman culinary adventure without an oven. Disappointing for a foodie but not the end of the world. Well, that has not changed but for the past two days we were without a range top.

Let me say that our range top was not stellar from the outset. There are no temperature controls although it lists six settings. I literally stand over what I am cooking at all times and move it from burner to off burner. This annoying action provides me with a relatively consistent “medium” setting. However the burning of risotto still occurs.

Well without the use of this lovely appliance I was even more at a loss. I was very beside myself as I contemplated a week without carbanara. Yet, then we remembered what really is amazing about Italian food: the ease.

Italians enjoy a multitude of picnicking foods that require no cooking. And the produce, oh the fresh produce! So we have switched our meals from pasta dishes to an assortment of cured meats, olives, Caprese salads, artisan cheeses, crusty breads, local fruit, wonderful canned tuna, and an excess of dessert pastries.

And while I am writing on Roman food, let me say that the organic trend has caught on here. In the grocery stores there are sizable selections of organic food items. In fact, last Sunday morning, when we were on a trip to the Colosseum, there was a large organic food festival. The pictures are from this wonderful event. It was a national activity in which 100 piazzas around the country hosted an organic food market that Sunday.



Of course, I had no idea, didn’t bring a wallet, and only had 3 dollars in change. We bought peach preserves from a nunnery that had a booth there. The preserves are divine (pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment